Probably, you heard something about Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC), a technology that, as you suppose, allows real-time communication capabilities. If not, it’s no problem because we’ll describe it here fully. You can visit its site to be in contact with the article’s topic.
This communication technology can be implemented in your app if it should connect people in any way, including file and media sharing. Check the WebRTC development company here for more about how to do this. Let’s immerse ourselves in the space of telecommunication facilities to see how they can make your life easier by connecting the world and promoting globalization.
And, of course, generating large benefits for you.
WebRTC: What is it?
WebRTC is used to develop applications with live communication, messenger, or media exchange features. Examples are EdTech apps, where live training sessions are essential, or healthcare apps for enabling direct doctor-patient communication.
It can be embedded directly into the applications and browsers without external plugins or software, making it convenient for use. It is an open-source project backed by Google, Mozilla, and Opera and designed to provide effortless and free (P2P) communication between people using digital technologies. As you see in the diagram below, the technology includes encryption and the safety of transmitted messages, and you can read more here.
WebRTC can be used used in various applications and services. Its P2P nature makes it particularly useful for applications where low latency and high quality of service are important. They include the following list but are not limited by them. If you’d like to embed communication in your fintech app, for example, this technology will be essential there, too.
- Video conferencing apps, which are used to connect people in virtual rooms for various purposes. Examples include Zoom or Google Meets
- Online gaming tools for gamers’ communication while playing. Discord is a good example.
- Streaming apps are used by bloggers and other people who like to track their gaming or life events.
- Remote education apps where live streaming and information exchange are crucial components
- Telemedicine apps which are connecting doctors and their patients and enabling tracking of the patient’s well-being while they are at home.
Thus, it is a powerful technology that enables real-time communication capabilities to be embedded directly into web browsers and applications. A wide range of applications and services can use it, being empowered with robust communication capabilities. If you look to make your app oriented on communication to any extent, let’s review its main features and their implementation.
WebRTC Essential Functions
This facility provides four powerful instruments for information exchange.
- Audio and video digital communication allow users to communicate via reliable information streams with low latency and high speed.
- Screen sharing in real-time is particularly useful for remote collaboration and troubleshooting. It is also used for video game streaming and animated movie creation.
- Data exchange allows file sharing and message exchange using secure and reliable channels. Thus, you can use this tech to develop your communication app or extension.
- The network traversal feature means that these channels are stable even in the case of network obstacles. The facility mechanisms enable it to cross firewalls and operate during low network speed, ensuring that communication will occur even in challenging network environments.
You can see a typical scheme of such a communication below.
Who develops it?
How do various companies develop and implement this technology? Let’s see four examples and group them.
- Purrweb is an app development company that provides various solutions, including communication and information exchange technologies. You can contact them if you need your app to be developed from scratch and include all available telecommunication features.
- Oxagile is based on telecommunication app extensions, so you can contact them if you want to add such features to your existing app.
- Oodles Technology is a mobile technology company, positioning itself as focused on cutting-edge techs such as artificial intelligence and blockchain. If you need a complex app, consider being in touch with them.
- WebRTC.ventures provide various services connected with the technology: servers, testing, integration, and others. It is a perfect choice if you already have some telecommunication facilities but must expand them: for example, allow more users to attend video conferences.
Choosing a Company
As you see, there are mostly two types: general app-building businesses, like Purrweb and Oodles, and telecommunication-oriented companies, like Oxagile and WebRTC.ventures. The first ones will help you to create an app from the very beginning and add all the necessary features. Connect with them to negotiate the whole development process and its prices. If you need to implement or improve the telecommunication technology in your existing app, choose the second option.
A Development Team
Telecommunication app development requires serious teamwork. Various developers and designers should communicate with each other to build a ready application from various sides.
- A project manager oversees the entire development process, manages the team, and ensures that the project is completed readily and within budget. His or her function is uniting the team parties, who often have very different working styles and specifics.
- A WebRTC developer specializes in incorporating the technology into the applications and, thus, is responsible for all telecommunication processes. For them, working with libraries, APIs, and customization are essential skills for this position.
- A front-end developer is responsible for developing the application’s UI/UX, a front side that will be visible to end users and interact with them. They make sure that those who use the app will be happy and satisfied.
- A programmer is responsible for creating the server-side logic and code of the application. The core of the future application rests on them. They work with programming languages to ensure authentication, user management, data storage, and all other essential and additional features of your app.
- A database administrator should be present to ensure that all data used in the app are properly stored, retrieved, and backed up. It is crucial in the context of information exchange, as it should be stored somewhere and easily taken from there.
- A QA (Quality Assurance) engineer tests the application to check whether it functions as intended. They create test plans and scenarios, execute tests, and report any issues or bugs to the development team.
- A DevOps engineer manages the development environment, ensures proper code usage, and builds the application’s infrastructure. Their responsibility is connecting various app parts, sides, and extensions together without conflicts or crashes.
It is hard to evaluate how much the app will cost you, but the price of the telecommunication technology integration can be calculated quite easily. For the whole app development, look at the table of typical hourly rates for people from the previous section. After evaluation of the development time, you can estimate your expenses.
For telecommunication development, you should review the technology’s features and select which are necessary. Maybe you need just audio streaming, messaging, and file transfer, and nothing more.
Suppose that the implementation of the basic functionality will take several weeks. The incorporation of the streaming and real-time communication features will cost you and your company at least $10,000 – $20,000, based on these rates.
WebRTC is a crucial element of all apps that should transfer information between users, files, messages, or audiovisual streams. Healthcare apps, streaming platforms, messengers, and EdTech apps, all of them require this technology.
You can either implement it to the ready app or build a communication service from scratch and for that, you should manage a diverse team of specialists. To evaluate the development cost, clearly define which telecommunication features you need and calculate the price based on the developers’ hourly rates.
The Search Engine Cage team is on a mission to educate entrepreneurs. We make things easier for the small business owner, by writing articles that help them to understand SEO and Digital Marketing.