A good digital marketing team is a cohesive and effective unit that allows your company to develop a more sustainable strategy, set higher goals, and deliver better results. However, you don’t want it to be part-time or half-baked. You want it to be robust and designed from the outset to produce results. But how do you create such a team?
To help you get started, here are some recommendations on how to build a good digital marketing team structure in 2023.
Composition of a Digital Marketing Team
When building a marketing team, consider hiring individuals with diverse and complementary skills and experiences. Here are some of the key roles:
- The Team Leader: The chief marketing officer (CMO) or Director of Marketing organizes and manages the entire team. They keep the team focused on the same goal.
- SEO Manager: They are responsible for how the site is found online. Visibility and strategic placement online are key to the success of this role.
- Content/ Social Media Managers: They create captivating, conversion-focused content to post on the company website and social media platforms.
- Marketing Strategist: They have the strategic vision and develop the digital strategy. They create marketing plans, allocate resources, and monitor digital campaign performance.
- Graphic Designer: They create digital content that represents the brand with original visuals, infographics, featured images, and custom graphics both on the website and off.
- Email Expert: They develop an email strategy to convert potential leads into customers. They are the communicators to the customers.
- PR Manager: They create and strategically distribute content to increase visibility to the target audience.
- Data Analyst: They are the analysts. They collect and analyze marketing data to interpret and translate numbers into KPIs and insights.
- Customer Experience (CX) Leader: They work to build trust, identify opportunities, and understand your target audience with research and analysis.
Even though digital marketing teams for different enterprises work differently, their structure is typically the same. They need a variety of skill sets to achieve the best results.
Defining Tasks and How to Accomplish Them
A fully planned marketing strategy is essential to building a digital marketing team that delivers. What is the goal? What are your objectives? Define these and what is required to get there before even beginning the process of filling the roles.
Define tasks, goals, and timelines clearly to the team. Each member of the team needs to understand their role and how they contribute to the end goal. Communication of these items is key to the success of the team.
Measuring and Controlling Performance
Key performance indicators are critical from the start to the end of a project. They will guide the marketing efforts. KPIs determine the success of a campaign and what should or could be repeated. They are a great place for learning and insights. Such as, do your customers respond better to a paid ad or a social media campaign? Which has a lower cost per acquisition? Let these metrics guide the decision-making process.
The success of a digital marketing campaign is dependent on many factors. The structure of the team, teamwork, expertise, focus on the goals, and analysis. At the end of the day, no one team is successful in all types of businesses. Let your data and audience guide you. It will be a trial and error until you find the right fit for your business. However, these steps will give you a good start in building your team.
Here are some additional points to consider when creating a digital marketing team structure:
- Collaboration Tools: Ensure that your team is equipped with the right tools to collaborate, communicate and work efficiently. Some tools may include project management software, chat applications, video conferencing, etc.
- Budget: It is crucial to have a well-defined budget to allocate the necessary resources for your digital marketing efforts. Your budget should cover all aspects of digital marketing, including paid advertising, social media, content creation, and more.
- Flexibility: The digital marketing landscape is constantly evolving, so it is essential to have a team that can adapt to changes quickly. You may need to pivot strategies, change tactics, or explore new channels to achieve the desired results.
- Training and Development: To stay ahead of the competition, your team must stay up-to-date with the latest digital marketing trends and techniques. Provide your team with training and development opportunities to enhance their skills and keep them motivated.
- Outsourcing: You may not have all the required skills in-house, and it may be more cost-effective to outsource some tasks to external agencies or freelancers. Make sure you have a plan in place for outsourcing, including a budget and a process for selecting the right partners.
- Performance Reviews: Conduct regular performance reviews to evaluate the effectiveness of your digital marketing team. Use KPIs, feedback from clients or customers, and other metrics to identify areas for improvement and recognize the team’s successes.
Building a successful digital marketing team takes time, effort, and careful planning. Use the tips above as a starting point to create a team structure that works for your business and delivers results.
Some frequently asked questions
What is a digital marketing team?
A digital marketing team is a group of professionals with diverse skill sets who work together to develop and execute digital marketing strategies. The team may include roles such as a marketing strategist, SEO manager, content/social media manager, email expert, graphic designer, PR manager, data analyst, and customer experience (CX) leader.
What are the key roles of a digital marketing team?
The key roles in a digital marketing team include the team leader (e.g., CMO or Director of Marketing), SEO manager, content/social media manager, marketing strategist, graphic designer, email expert, PR manager, data analyst, and CX leader.
What are the benefits of having a digital marketing team?
Having a digital marketing team can help your business develop a more sustainable strategy, set higher goals, and deliver better results. The team can provide expertise and knowledge across different digital marketing channels and work together to create a cohesive and effective marketing plan.
What should be included in a digital marketing strategy?
A digital marketing strategy should include the goals and objectives of the marketing campaign, target audience, budget, channels to be used, content strategy, and metrics to measure success.
How can you measure the success of a digital marketing campaign?
The success of a digital marketing campaign can be measured using key performance indicators (KPIs) such as website traffic, conversion rates, engagement rates, cost per acquisition, and return on investment (ROI). These metrics can provide insights into what worked well and what can be improved for future campaigns.
Building a digital marketing team can be a challenging task, but with the right structure and approach, it can be a highly effective way to drive business growth. The key is to identify the roles and skills needed for your specific business needs, define tasks and goals clearly, and measure and control performance using key performance indicators. By following these steps, you can build a cohesive and effective team that delivers results and helps your business thrive in the digital age.
The Search Engine Cage team is on a mission to educate entrepreneurs. We make things easier for the small business owner, by writing articles that help them to understand SEO and Digital Marketing.